This project was really fun. I had never really designed and built something that would actually have a purpose and work. It was really fun in the second to last class where there was a mad dash to get everything done. I was cutting paper, wrapping lights, and gluing wood and my fingers. When we got one of the lamps mostly finished, it was really satisfactory and fun to see the end result.
I learned a lot while doing this project. First, I learned about new tools. I was very inexperienced in the new technology, so I had to learn how to make laser cutting plans and how to design 3D printing objects. Next, I had to learn how to really focus on getting one thing done at a time. There were so many parts to this project before assembling everything that I was constantly switching back and forth between different activities. I think that if I had focused on getting one part done during each class period, I would have been more efficient. Finally, I learned how to truly work as a team, not just fill in a paper together. Camryn and I had to learn to work quickly together and still have the end result look good and function well. We communicated face to face and over email. When we were actually working together, we found a way to be doing separate things that would correlate or join at the end. We fell into a rhythm that helped us work.
We didn't use many new strategies, the only one being using a Maker Case instead of the regular laser cut design website called Adobe Illustrator. If I had more time, I would've wrapped the LED strips more evenly around the cardboard cylinder. I also wish I could've designed a better base for my lamp in 3D Design.
Materials: LED strips, dimmer, adapter, 1/8 inch thick wood, cardboard cylinder, see through paper
Tools: Laser Cutter, Paper cutter
Link for Maker Case: http://www.makercase.com